Teachers asked, our investors answered
For the 2022-2023 school year, we have Transportation Grants available; made possible by our incredible investors that heard of this need to support bus transportation to our Farm Camp tour stops. We had heard from educators that their districts were not interested or able to fund their transportation costs to take students off campus to experience a farm/agbusiness tour. We know that getting students on-site and interacting with agriculture is important and enhances their knowledge through their first-hand experience. This grant opportunity will lower the barrier for our educators create a Farm Camp experience and engage their students with local agriculture.
Who can apply?
Farm Camp serves educators who teach students in grades 5-12. Educators applying for transportation funding must be including students in these grades for this grant to be approved. Funding will only be provided for the buses/vans needed to transport students in grades 5-12.
First time applicants will have priority for funding. Grants must be used for Farm Camp experiences to working farms or agriculture businesses. Non-formal education applications will also be considered based on strength of application and the availability of funds.
How does it work?
Educators can request up to $1000 to cover their transportation expenses. Educators will need to submit a final invoice for transportation reimbursement.
An educator must complete the grant application and submit it to MAITC Foundation at least 6 weeks (42 days) prior to the Farm Camp experience. All grants will be evaluated by the MAITC Foundation Board Grant Review Committee. Grants are approved within 2 weeks of submission.
Can grant funds be used for other tour expenses?
Grant money can only be used for reimbursing the school district or bus company directly for transportation costs. School van costs can be reimbursed under this grant as well.
If a tour location has an entry fee or tour fee, this grant is not eligible to cover those expenses. This grant is for transportation costs only.
After approval, what needs to be submitted?
In order to receive transportation reimbursement, the grantee must provide the following information within 4 weeks after the Farm Camp event.
1) Pre-Event Survey and Post-Event Surveys must be completed by students
- The surveys are provided by Farm Camp Minnesota and simply need to be completed before and after the experience.
2) Invoice from the bus company and/or school owned transportation service
- Example: Invoice from bus company for 2 buses AND invoice from school for van transportation for special needs students
3) Completed Farm Camp Grant Report (within 4 weeks after the event) with the following:
- Curriculum lessons utilized before and after the experience.
- Event statistics: number of students impacted, number of sites, etc.
- Adding 5 images of students experiencing a Farm Camp in the classroom and out on the tour.
4) Completed Photo Release Form
Wondering if this opportunity is right for you?
Want to get started on your tour ideas before completing this grant application?
Need help calculating your grant amount?
Contact our Farm Camp Program Director today to get your questions answered! Email [email protected] for assistance.